Sunday, June 22, 2008

It Takes a Village

The old African proverb states, "it takes a village to raise a child". No man, woman, or family is an island onto itself. We venture into a new role, undertake a new project or set out to do what no man has done before. Whatever direction we choose to take, we go there with limited knowledge and experience. “The Village” can take many forms, but the one commonality is we seek the knowledge of those who have come before us.

Entrepreneurs are a proud and independent group; we have a better way and are willing to assume all the risk to deliver our product to the world. Unfortunately, pride and independence can work for us and against us at the same time. An entrepreneur is someone with the courage and passion to take a concept and turn it into a business and is willing to do whatever it takes to achieve their desired outcomes. An entrepreneur can also restrict themselves to solitary confinement and resist the aid of “the village”.

Why do we resist?
  • Fear of looking bad
  • Need Permission
  • Didn’t know the option was available
  • Waste of time
  • Don’t know who to ask


I am a mother and an entrepreneur. As a new mother I also resisted “the village”. How could I admit that I didn’t have the faintest idea what to do with this child? All I knew for sure was that I loved her, and wanted to take the best care of her. I soon realized that I wasn’t alone; my mom shared how she felt after I was born. “What a relief, I may actually have a shot of raising this child.” From that moment on, I sought out the expertise, took classes, surrounded myself with other parents, and got involved in activities to help support the village. We are now the proud parents of 2 teenagers who openly communicate, take pride in their work at home and school, and set goals for their own future.


Unfortunately, I didn’t realize the same rules applied to entrepreneurship, and it took me a little longer to get acquainted with “the village”. How could I admit that I didn’t have the faintest idea what to do with this business? All I knew for sure was that I had a better way, and wanted to deliver the best product in my industry. Someone recently asked me “why I do what I do, and what makes me good at it?”. I do it because it gives me joy. I am good at it because I eventually got tired of solitary confinement. I got tired of repeatedly making the same mistakes. I grew weary of the paralysis of my fears. I looked at the areas in my life that I was the most successful, and applied them to my business. “The village” has become my greatest resource. The residents of the village are fellow entrepreneurs that have shared with me their experiences, and expertise. In return, I gave them the gift of my experience and expertise. They come in the form of my accountant, my attorney, peers, clients, and most importantly my Mastermind group. My mastermind group has become the governing branch of my village. They have shared with me their experience, supported me when I have fallen, been patient, and never judgmental. They have helped me to align myself with my business, take leadership, and look at the business for what it is and what it can become.


We all posses the power to accomplish what we set out to do, some take the long route and others seek the direct route. When we accept the village we remove the fear, and isolation that can stunt our progress.

Related Stories

http://www.justpeace.org/village.htm

http://www.villagetalkradio.com/

No comments: